The FLEXspace initiative is a large collaborative effort including:
- Management staff
- Core advisory board
- Industry advisory council
- Research and evaluation working group – NEW in 2018
Please contact us if you’d like to get involved!
Core Team Members
The Core Team has been active since early 2012 in working to envision a sustainable FLEXspace resource for the global higher education community.
You can email us at email@example.com or connect with the FLEXspace Core Team members directly.
FLEXspace Research & Evaluation Working Group
In the initial formation of this group, there was general agreement among members that the goal of the Working Group should not be restricted to executing our own studies, but rather that we should seek to map out a broader research agenda for the LS community based on needs and gaps in the scholarly and practitioner knowledge base, and then to provide enabling frameworks, tools, and capacity-building guidance to empower the community as a whole to pursue the agenda. In order to do this effectively we will need to build and leverage our synergies with key existing groups, most notably the Learning Space Rating System (LSRS) project being carried out under the auspices of the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative, and the Learning Spaces Collaboratory (LSC), which grew out of Project Kaleidoscope, as well as other international groups like JISC (UK equivalent of EDUCAUSE) and CAUDIT (Australia). Fortunately, there is strong representation of these groups on our Working Group, including leaders from both the LSRS team and the LSC.
Here are a few of the members as of May 2018:
- Patricia Aceves, Asst. Provost and Senior Dir., Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Stony Brook
- John Augeri, International learning spaces researcher, Director, Paris Ile-de-France Digital University
- Tracey Birdwell, Indiana University, ID and faculty developer leading IU’s active learning initiative
- Lucila Carvalho, Senior Lecturer in e-Learning & Digital Technologies, Massey University, New Zealand
- Bernie Dodge, Learning Design & Technology Faculty, San Diego State University
- Shirley Dugdale – Dugdale Strategy, LLC
- Mark Lee, Senior Lecturer, School of Education, Charles Sturt University, AUS; Visiting Faculty, Carnegie Mellon
- Katie Linder, Research Director, Oregon State Ecampus
- Marsha Lovett, Associate Vice Provost for Teaching Innovation & Learning Analytics as well as Director of the Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence & Educational Innovation at Carnegie Mellon University
- Kevin McDonough, Asst. Professor of English, Dir. of the CTL, Faculty Development, Lackawanna College
- Jeanne Narum, Founder, Learning Spaces Collaboratory
- Rebecca Rotundo, Instructional Technology Specialist, University at Buffalo
- Robert Talbert, Associate Professor of Mathematics, Grand Valley State University
- Keith Webster, Dean of Libraries and Director of Emerging and Integrative Media Initiatives, formerly at The University of Queensland
Please contact us for more information about joining this group.
Foundational Working Groups
These teams provided tremendous mindshare and time to getting FLEXspace off the ground.
A/V Integration Team
Team is tasked with reviewing and modifying existing audio-video taxonomy to ensure that classroom media and A/V integration fields are properly separated from facilities fields, and that all baseline information is correct.
Facilities Integration Team
The Facilities Integration Team is tasked with reviewing and modifying existing facilities and construction taxonomy fields to ensure that descriptions are properly separated from A/V integration fields, and that all baseline information is correct.
Learning Spaces Typology & Assessment Team
The Learning Spaces Typology & Assessment Team is tasked with creating and modifying existing learning space classifications and related fields to ensure a common understanding of space descriptions. This team will also develop an assessment method (or rubrics) to measure the pedagogical effectiveness of the learning space type.
Peer Review Team
The Peer Review Team is tasked with adapting the MERLOT boilerplate material and methods of Open Access peer review to the FLEXspace collection. This includes development of policy and licensing guidelines, and API exploration to share data between content systems.
The Partnership Team is tasked with development and outreach to potential partners to establish long term service support. This team will coordinate closely with the Governance Team, and also draft a marketing and communications plan.
The Governance Team is tasked with drafting Bylaws and developing the core team transition plan. It includes identification of legal necessities (contracts), integrates partnership recommendations into guiding documents and assists with marketing and communications planning.
Taxonomy Review & Contributors
- Clare van den Blink – Cornell University (Core Lead)
- Doug Willen – Swarthmore College
- Joan Lippincott – Coalition Network Info.
- Linda Kendall Knox – University of Michigan
- Dana Gierdowski – North Carolina State University
- Brad Snyder – SUNY Cortland (Core Lead)
- Charles Minihan – Emory University
- Beth Fellendorf – University at Buffalo
- Lori Swinney – University of North Dakota
- Mark McCallister – University of Florida
- John Pfeffer – University at at Buffalo
- Jim Twetten – Iowa State University
- Laurie Yarnes – University at Buffalo
- Terry Calhoun – SCUP (Core Lead)
- Claire Turcotte – SCUP
- Ira Fink – Ira Fink and Associates
- Persis Rickes – Rickes Associates Inc.
- Shirley Dugdale – Dugdale Strategy, LLC
- Scott Shader – University of Mass Med School – Worcester
- Valarie Avalone – Monroe Community College (SUNY)
- Daniel K.Paulien – Paulien & Associates, Inc.
- Fran Gast – RI School Design (RISD) Ret.
- Ludmilla Pavlova-Gillham – University of Mass – Amherst
- Lennie Scott-Webber – Steelcase Inc.
- Michael Hites – University of Illinois
- SUNY FACT2 Learning Environments Task Group – (2011)
- David Lavallee, SUNY Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost, (Partner)
- Joseph Moreau, Chief Technology Officer, Oswego, Chair
- Lisa Stephens, Associate Director of Academic Services, University at Buffalo (FACT2 Chair)
- Joan Getman, Sr. Strategist for Learning Technologies, Cornell
- Greg Bronson, Project Lead, Cornell
- Graham Glynn, Assistant Provost, Stony Brook
- Wayne Jones, Chemistry Department Chair, Binghamton
- Mark McBride, Instructional Support, Buffalo State College
- Terry Calhoun, Director, Media Relations and Publications, Society for College and University Planning (SCUP) (ret.)
- Clare van den Blink, Former Vice President of Information Technology and CIO, Pace University
- Megan Marler, Artstor